Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

My adult daughter has a history of bipolar disorder and is

My adult daughter has a history of bipolar disorder and is currrently having severe obsessive compulsive behavior. She has refused to seek help. My wife takes a lot of abuse from her. Is there anything we can do to get her the help she needs?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 5 years ago.
Hello and sorry for your frustration:

Unfortunately, it is not easy to force a person to get help. If you have recommended it and she refuses, then, she has tied your hands to help.

If she becomes a threat to herself or others, she can be involuntarily admitted to the hospital for 72 hours. In these situations, you would call the police to handle it and it is hard to watch her being taken away in hand-cuffs.

Usually, situations must get worse before the person will (or is forced to) get help. This is a very hard position to be in. Good luck.