cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

What is the role of the case manager, or assigned clinician,

Customer Question

What is the role of the case manager, or assigned clinician, in the revocation of an LRA? (Least Restrictive Alternative to involuntary hospitalization.)<br />RCW 71.05.340 speaks to conditional releases, but I find nothing in the RCW that speaks to an LRA.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 5 years ago.

Hi and thanks for writing JA

I am not sure if you were looking for an attorney or a mental health clinician so I am responding with an information request so that you are not charged by my correspondence. You know in Washington State under RCW 71;05 the primary responsibility of the assigned clinician/case manager is coordination of information between service providers. It is different in Washington State from other states and where I now practice in Massachusetts (which by the way surprised me a great deal). I am going to send you the link that explains this and you can let me know if you have further questions on this legislation. Also, I am not responding to your request but instead submitting to you just as an information request. That way if you have any more questions you can feel free to ask but no you will not be charged for the information I am now sending you.

best wishes to you and here is that link I promised you and I hope it helps. If you need more help on this let me know. I can make a few phone calls on your behalf and would be happy to do so but that might take up to three days.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. The problem I'm having has a lot to do with the fact that the only information I can find in Washington State law relevant to revocation refers to Conditional Release, and does not include LRAs. In the conditional release law 71.05.340(3)(b) it reads The hospital or facility designated to provide outpatient treatment (which in this agency usually means the case manager) shall notify the...designated mental health professional when a conditionally released person fails to adhere to terms and conditions of his or her conditional release...and, as a result, presents an increased likelihood of serious harm. The designated mental health professional or secretary shall order the person apprehended and temporarily detained in an evaluation and treatment facility. Does this apply to LRA's as well as to CR's. There has been some disagreement on that question here.
Expert:  cathy replied 5 years ago.

Do you think this would be better answered by our legal department? I have reread the law four or five times now and I still do not quite grasp what this means exactly? I contacted two attorneys in Washington State today and neither returned my calls. I ran it by some of my colleagues who also work on policy. None of us are certain we understand this.

Would you feel better if I transferred this question to our legal department at JA? I am more than happy to keep trying to get an answer for you, but so far my "usual resources" have not been able to help on this.

Let me know which idea works best for you so that I can best help you further on this.