Pamela, LCSW
Pamela, LCSW, Psychotherapist/MSW
Experience:  25 years of experience in private practice and inpatient psychiatry;licensed in two states

I am completely unmotivated to work. I feel stressed and need

I am completely unmotivated to work. I feel stressed and need the money. But I cannot get myself to lift a finger to do anything about it. I am sick of the work and anxiety surrounding it. How do I recover a fervor for work again as it allows me so many comforts and luxuries?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Pamela, LCSW replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer:

There are two things that come to mind in regard to your problem. You mention antidepressants-wonder if you have tried wellbutrin, in particular, which helps with motivation. The other suggestion is to work with a career counselor or job coach to look into ways to make your job more stimulating for you. You may also want to consider a job change as you may be burnt out, which makes any changes in the same work place difficult.
I hope this helps and wish you well,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Pamela,

Thank you for the answer. I have tried Wellbutrin before; it didn't work so well. I am trying to find a solution with the current job for a couple of reasons (1. $$$ 2. used to enjoy this work). I find that i am procrastinating and making excuses to sleep. I don't feel well, achy, tired, troubled. Are there things I can do now to gain a fresh perspective on the the things I am doing now. It would seem that I would appreciate more the things that are in my life now. I just really don't care and want to sleep or go on a trip. I just don't know how to get back to what I was after traumatic events.

If you are recovering from traumatic events, then, yes, it can be very difficult to get back to your previous mood and lifestyle. The most effective way to deal with this is to work with a trauma specialist. I know that you have mentioned that you have been in treatment. However, I would recommend focusing specifically on the trauma issues that have caused you so much distress. If you google trauma experts or the National trauma organization you should be able to locate a specialist in your area.