Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
44579284

I HAVE BEEN USING CERTAIN MEDS FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER.WELLBUTRIN,LAMICTAL,

I HAVE BEEN USING CERTAIN MEDS FOR BIPOLAR DISORDER.WELLBUTRIN, LAMICTAL, BUPORIUM, i HAVE HAD SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS FOR 10 YEARS WHICH TELLS YOU HOW IMPORTANT THIS IS TO ME.WELLBUTRIN IS FINE SO IS THE BUPORIUM BUT THE LAMICTAL HAS ALOT OF SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS SO DILANTIN ( INTERNET ) WAS RECOMMENDED INSTEAD OF LAMICTAL. IS DILANTIN USED FOR BIPLOR DISORDER LIKE LAMICTAL OR IS THERE ANY OTHER MED'S THAT I CAN USE. i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE I GO TO MY DOCTOR I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME NAMES TO SEE WHAT HE THINKS. i WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE THE LIMCITAL BUT NEED EXAMPLES TO ASK ABOUT. RON MR SEXLESS.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer.with regards XXXXX XXXXX present medication for bi-polar disorder...I am sorry to hear that you have not only had to endure the effects of your bi-polar disorder but also that of the unpleasant side effects of your medication...

So to answer your question ( and I hope that I am not too late for this ) The use of Dilantin for many disorders provides no evidence to suggest that it is more effective than the anticonvulsants that are being used to treat people with bipolar disorder today.
While it worked to some extent for some, its failure to provide sufficient relief encouraged patients to try other anticonvulsants, one of which provided more complete relief...from bi-polar symptoms...Four other medications that are known to treat bipolar disorder, where Dilantin does not are:carbamazepine (Tegretol xr, Carbatrol xr , and probably the newer version called Trileptal); valproate (Depakote, Depakene); Depakote, is among the first usually turned to by Dr's/psychiatrists, but causes weight gain --though has no known sexual side effects ( 3 others I have mentioned above unfortunately do have sexual side effects )..but there are other side effects to consider before taking Depakote...
You would need to discuss this medication further with your Dr ( as you have mentioned in you post ) as your medical history and overall health will also need to be taken into consideration...and it seems that there have been no known adverse interactions between Depakote and the other medications that you are currently on but, its safe to say that every medication works differently with each individual...
I do hope that this has provided a little light at the end of the tunnel for you...so that your life wont' be limited to the confines of your medication...I must apologize for the time delay in responding to your post but unfortunately its due to world time difference and when your post comes through...
If this has been helpful to you then please 'accept' my response as it also helps greatly to keep this valuable service going for you and others alike in the future..
Take good 'self care now...and my thoughts will be with you..
Kind regards
Karyn J (ProfClinicalDipCounBMin)
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.
Hello ..thank you again for your inquiry..with regards XXXXX XXXXX possible medications...(Zonegran,wellbutren,> (also known as Bupropion), Carbamazepine,Lamictal> ( known as Lamotrigine), and Metformin, also known to assist with bi-polar disorder..

Zonegran..has no known case reports of sexual side effects...but does have other various side effects...
Wellbutrin (Buropion) has had case reports via case studies done that some have experienced hyper sexuality...increased libido..but with other side effects experienced..

Catalogue of side effects for the medication Carbamazepine, which is often prescribed as a mood stabilizer in the treatment of bipolar disorder, as well as for epilepsy. and includes common brand names:Tegretol and Epitol -have experienced aching joints or muscles; constipation; diarrhea; dryness of mouth; headache; increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight (skin rash, itching, redness or other discoloration of skin, or severe sunburn); increased sweating; irritation or soreness of tongue or mouth; loss of appetite; loss of hair; sexual problems in males; stomach pain or discomfort.

Lamictal also known as ( Lamotigine) have reported no known sexual side effects..but hair loss has been experienced and various other side effects...

Metformin: case reports indicate a decrease in libido, ED and sexual problems...

Wellbutrin is also often prescribed for those concerned with the sexual side effects of SSRI-type of their medication, and the low incidence of sexual side effect is a feature of this drug that the manufacturer markets to physicians.

Please discuss any change( or addition) to your medication with your Dr..prior to taking as they may ( interact with your other medication causing an adverse reaction ...) and may bring about further unpleasant/ uncomfortable side effects as a result of this..
Zonegran is a sulfa based medication...
I do hope that this has proved of further help to you....
Take care and very best wishes
Karyn J
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The answers i was hoping for was the questions I ask for on my first questions. I've written 4 times concerning : lamictal / zoloft / remeron /zonegram /vilazodone are these good med's for sexual side effects if not which ones are . Please return my question. Thanks Ron