Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

My 8 year old daughter will not poop. Normally, she goes about

Customer Question

My 8 year old daughter will not poop. Normally, she goes about once a week and it's basically my decision. We went to a movie and I told her I would not be taking her back and forth to the bathroom, so she went. She went to spend the night at a friend's house and I told her she had to go first, otherwise she would be goign back and forth to the bathroom. (She goes in the bathroom and wipes herself off after she has suppressed the urge to go. The closer we get to the end of the week, the more she runs to the bathroom.) She has not gone to the bathroom for 9 days at this time. This started about 2 years ago and has progressively gotten worse. I've tried taking away priviledges, laxatives and rewards. We see a couselor and she suggests that Julia go into the bathroom
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 5 years ago.

Has she had an evaluation by a gastroenterologist? or tests ordered by her pediatrician?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No tests. She has seen her doctor and sherecommended a light laxative. When my daughter started she said she liked how it felt to hold it in. She can go when she is forced with a punishment. I truly believe this is about control.
Yes, I agree it is about control. But a pediatric gastroenterologist (especially from a large Children's Hospital) will see if there has been any long term effects of this behavior (megacolon) and will make recommendations to bring this behavior out of her control. For instance, regular doses of Mineral Oil (or something like this) will make it very difficult for her to hold it in. In addition, she may hate taking mineral oil and so, voluntarily let her stools go.

If the GI consult leads nowhere, then, I you may need to try ignoring this attention getting behavior (if that is what it is).