Karyn Jones
Karyn Jones, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Diploma of Counselling and Transactional Analysis Counselling, Lifeline counselling, Pastoral Care.

hi a friend of mine has been prescribed Anafranil for OCD

a friend of mine has been prescribed Anafranil for OCD for the first time. Just took it yesterday and today was getting anxiety attack...and feeling very slow in everything
is this normal. He is taking oxizepam as well ...
Is this the best product for OCD
he is identified with OCD because he has re-occuring thought which repeats the same over and over a few times per minute and it does not go away...
just would like to know someone;s opinion when he will feel better
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Karyn Jones replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for bringing your concerns to Just Answer...with regards XXXXX XXXXX friend and his present medication ( Anafranil, Oxazepam) help with his OCD ..disorder...for which I am also sorry to hear of...
I noted that he has only been on this medication a very short it will take a few weeks before he will start feeling the full benefits of it... it usually takes that long for the body/system to adjust to it ...and varies with people . Factors to consider are age, health , medical history, inherited factors...and any other medications. Initially this medication will enhance his anxiety, ..( side effect of it at the start ) then as his body gets used to it over the coming weeks ..he should start feeling the benefits of it...
Both Anafranil and Oxazepam have been deemed successful in treating ocd disorder with many people ..but as with all medication there are various side effects ..but over time these should its a big adjustment for the body to make...

I do hope that this has been helpful to you...if these unpleasant symptoms persist after a month ..I would be inclined to contact his Dr to perhaps look at lowering his dose ..and or changing to other medication... If this has been helpful then please 'accept' my response as it also helps greatly to keep this valuable service going for you and others alike in the future...He is very blessed to h ave a caring friend in you...go well and if he can persevere the benefits will be felt I am sure...
Kind thoughts and all the very best..'
Karyn J (ProfClinicalDipCounBMin)