TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

How do I combat mental exhaustion

How do I combat mental exhaustion?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you have already done some research to help yourself get a better idea how to combat mental exhaustion. I hope I can add something new to help you.

Here are some steps you can take to help yourself:

Get enough rest. Make sure you get between 7 to 9 hours at night or most nights.

Eat well balance meals and if you are working hard, make sure you snack on high protein low sugar foods to help keep your energy up.

Make sure you are exercising. Exercise not only helps keep your body healthy and fit, it gives you a chance to do something that is physical and not mental.

Make sure you take time to relax each day. Even if it is just one half hour, do something that does not involve mental energy. Watch TV, do Pilates/yoga, etc.

Laugh. Spend time everyday trying to find ways to laugh. Watch a comedy show, joke with friends, play with your kids/dog. Laughter promotes good endorphins and helps you relax.

Take an Omega 3 and B vitamin each day. Check with your doctor first. Both supplements help promote stress reduction and B vitamins help reduce stress reaction in the body.

If you find that nothing you try is helping, consider talking with a counselor to help provide you with support and so you can learn better ways to help yourself cope. Talk with your doctor for a referral or if you attend church, your pastor can help. You can also search on line at

Here are some books that may help you as well. One is called The Exhaustion Cure: Up Your Energy from Low to Go in 21 Days by Laura Stack. Another one is The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Robbins Eshelman, Matthew McKay and Patrick Fanning. You can find these on or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. You are right, I have put in some research. I've also undertaken your suggestions to - rest, eat right, exercise, recreate, laugh, and take vitamins (& other health aids).

Your last suggestion (talk with a counselor) is where I've encountered some challenges. I live in a semi-rural area and there just aren't many available. Recently, I tried an online support group (, but it seems to be geared toward folks with substantially greater problems than I'm experiencing.

Thanks for your suggestions, I do appreciate your thoughtfulness.

You are welcome! How about some of these sites for on line stress support? They may also help you learn to cope more with the mental exhaustion.

You could also try learning to meditate which helps lower blood pressure and teaches you how to relax no matter where you are.

I am sorry there are not more counselors in your area. Hopefully, that will change. Do you have a local community mental health center? Most places do, even rural ones and they may be able to help you as well.