Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

my son was recently diagnosed as bipolar. Because of his job

Customer Question

my son was recently diagnosed as bipolar. Because of his job in the military, he elected not to take lithum or depakote. Instead, he is on a Zoloft/Zyprexa combo. He is not better, he refuses the advice of this dr to see a therapist. Very angry and having a hard time coming to terms with his diagnosis. What is the best way to handle a situation like this. It is very hard to talk to him right now.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 5 years ago.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Hello, Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I would like to help you with this question.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I am so sorry to hear your son is going through this. Bipolar disorder is an illness that is riddled with denial and the person diagnosed with the illness usually does not see when it is getting worse.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

For family members, unfortunately, there is very little a person can do to help their loved one get better.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

You can call the treating physician and express your concern and the symptoms you are seeing.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I would recommend also seeking out support groups for families of people with bipolar disorder. Here is a great online support group http://www.mdjunction.com/bipolar. Also in your community, if you do an internet search, you can find local support groups to help you with your anger and frustration.

JACUSTOMER-s1f5mvyv- :

thank you.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I hope this answer helps. I know it is frustrating to not be able to help your son. Please let me know if you need further clarification about this answer or if you have further questions.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

All the best,

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Kym

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

*please click accept if you found this answer helpful.

Please let me know if you have further questions or if you need clarification about this answer.

All the best,

Kym