Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

Based on the list of characteristics of both a Sociopath and

Customer Question

Based on the list of characteristics of both a Sociopath and Psychopath, by all rights it would appear that my husband of 2 years is a Psychopath. (I am 61 and he is 62).By the way I am a medicated Bi-polar. My question is how do I live with this condition of his; how do I handle it, and get him to acknowledge that there is more than just him in this marriage? His favorite saying is "It's all about me"...and believe me that is true. Example: he did not give me a Christmas present or EVEN a card for this immediate Christmas past.
Example 2: we do not have a sexual relationship, not since 4 months into our marriage.
Thank you for any advice you can render.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question here at JustAnswer. I have read what you have written and am happy to respond.
First, I concur that the therapist should not have said what she said, however, I wouldn't abandon her for this,you should let her know how you felt when she said it as therapist are human and make mistakes.

That said, I think your husband is what we call a Malignant Narcissist and they have the same traits as sociopaths and psychopaths- void of conscious, the world revolves around them, everyone else is at fault etc etc etc.
They are 100% untreatable and based on 30 years of clinical experience, I can say that you are in for more of the same and it can get worse depending on how he manage his anger.

Here is information to inform you more about who you have married:

I trust this serves to answer your question and wish you the best,