Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's

Hi. My 27 year old son has been playing violent computer games

Customer Question

Hi. My 27 year old son has been playing violent computer games for some years. Recently he decided to give them up and stop playing. That would only be 6 weeks ago. Since giving them up he has decided he no longer wants to be married and wants to live alone (he works full-time). He has a lot of anger and frustration.
When he was young he was diagnosed with severe ADHD and of my three cousins on one side of the family, three of them have schizophrenia.
I am concerned about his withdrawal and since telling his wife to leave he has returned to his games.
He becomes violent and aggressive without provocation (always has) and this is really worrying me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Hello- Thank you for asking the question here at JustAnswer. I have read what you have written and am happy to respond.

Sir, I have been working in the mental health field for 30 years and with your sons history and what you are telling me know, I certainly suggest that he seek some form of mental health attention. If he had severe ADHD as a child this does not go away in adulthood. Bottom line, medication will help him and he should be encouraged to seek same. Here is detailed information on ADULT ADHD and the Recommended treatment.
After reading, talk to his GP.

I trust that this will help greatly and answers your question.

Best, Bill