mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

I have a brother, 50 years old who has a history of alcohol

I have a brother, 50 years old who has a history of alcohol and dagga abuse. He is living in sub-economic circumstances and remains financially dependent on his family, especially his mom. He comes from a middle-class family and was even at university, although unsuccessfully. The last 25 years has seen him going backward to a large extend and he currenlty struggle to fit in with people. He is often depressed as he tells me, dislexia. How do we help him, would a psychiatric assessment and possible admission for specialist treatment help in any way?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Good morning. First please allow me to say I'm so sorry to hear of the difficulty your family is experiencing with your brother. It certainly sounds as though he would benefit from a professional evaluation by either a psychiatrist or substance abuse counselor. Especially given the fact that alcohol withdrawal and detox can be potentially dangerous and he should definitely be monitored.

It's certainly possible that he may be resistant to the suggestion which is why I would recommend a family intervention explaining to him together the difficulties and pain he's caused. I would also suggest that you consider attending a few Al-Anon meetings which are like AA meetings but strictly for loved ones of alcoholics to help form a network of support as well as to gain ideas on ways to approach the situation with your brother. You can find meetings in your area by Google search.

Please let me know if you have any further questions as I want to ensure that your question is answered completely and thoroughly.

If you feel that I have answered your question to your satisfaction I would greatly appreciate your clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the and suggestions I've provided you. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.