Howard, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  I have worked 6 years with adolescents with behavioral issues, especially addictions.

I have been raising my two grandkids for almost 2 years and

I have been raising my two grandkids for almost 2 years and their mom is out of prison and I am giving the kids back, how do I get thru this??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JA. I am wondering...are you in good terms with their mom? If so, I would suggest going very slowly through this transition. It will be beneficial for you and more importantly the best way to go forward with the children with the least amount of harm.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes we are on good terms
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
Then try to make it as gradual of a process as you can, or even let her move in for a while, if you feel safe. Then work out a plan for a gradual transfer, if all goes well, you can get back to being the outstanding grand parent that I am sure you are. For the moment, it is important to stay in the moment. Don't think about what has happened in the past, and avoid looking to much into the future.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately she is in Arkansas and I am in Nebraska and I cant let her move in as she must continue to work.  I  wont be returning the kids until after school is out in May.
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
Oh, I see. So, what is the distance?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About aXXXXX I wont be returning them until school is out in May