Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

How would you measure a patient anger on a scale of what n

How would you measure a patient anger on a scale of what number?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

Are you asking in terms of a clinical assessment tool?

You are specifically seeking a number scale. Is there a reason for that? Why not a descriptive assessment?

What will you use the scale for?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

Let's go forward from the answers to these questions.

I see you are offline at this time. I may be away from the computer before you respond. If so, would tomorrow be okay for me to respond?

Dr. Mark

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dr. Mark,

I am asking in terms of a clinical assessment tool.

Sorry I need this question anwsered now.

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the added information. It helps a lot. I believe I can now be of help with this issue.

First, let me say there are a number of different scales available to use.There are two I recommend. One is free and one costs. It depends on your need. If you need the state of the art, then the one that costs is for you because it has established A LOT of validity and reliability. And you pay for that. It's been around since the late 1980s and so has gone through a couple of versions as well, which adds to its rating. But again, you pay.

As you are in a hurry, I don't know if this will be flooding you with too much information or not, but I'll include it in case you can use it. First, here is one of Spielberger's early reports on the scale after its development. If you're not familiar with how interlibrary loan documents look, it can be a little disorienting as pages are facing:

Here's a synopsis of the scale and its psychometrics from the Pittsburgh Mind Body Center:

To buy the scales is about a $300 proposition for the packet and manual. Here's the site:

But you might just need an informal assessment instrument that has some validity and reliability established for it. It was developed by William Snell and he makes it available for no charge. Here's the address:

Okay, I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX