Paige, MS, CRC, LPC
Paige, MS, CRC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Masters Degree in Counseling, and 17 years professional experience.

My 5 year old is having severe issues at school. The teachers

My 5 year old is having severe issues at school. The teachers complain that he's inappropriately clingy, he refuses to follow directions, he wanders off on his own. He curses, and threatens to stab himself or bang his head against the wall. But even with all his behavior issues, he does well on his school work. My family and I have never experienced this and we don't know where to start, and his pediatrician didn't really have any answers for me. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Paige, MS, CRC, LPC replied 5 years ago.

Sometimes it is very difficult to figure out these little ones. I have worked with children of this age and with these symptoms in my past and ultimately this leads me to think that your child has some pretty severe anxiety going on. Anxiety related issues would not respond to consequences that you have implemented ( and may make things worse as he really cant control what he is experiencing). I would recommend an assessment with a child psychiatrist to comprehensiviely address this. Generalized Anxiety responds well in children to such things as play therapy and I highly recommend this as well.

Best Regards,

Paige ,LPC