Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I am 32 and I currently am living with my parents and 4 year

Customer Question

I am 32 and I currently am living with my parents and 4 year old niece. I am unemployed and actively searching for employment. I have been renting out the townhouse I own because I can't afford to live there, but will be moving back in June/July when the tenants move out.

Everyday I am stressed out from all of the yelling and arguing that goes on at this house. My parents yell and argue, my niece yells and screams, my mom chases her yelling and screaming, they all yell at me for not doing enough to help out with my niece. She isnt my kid. I shouldnt have to be the one raising her or taking care of her although I do play with her, love her and babysit her.

I just need some advice on how to survive the next 3/4 months without killing someone or some
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer. Are you seeing a counselor weekly? Do your parents know your mood disorder? Does your niece has behavior problems?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am seeing a therapist weekly and I just started. My parents are aware of my bi-polar issues but don't fully understand it. My mom is also convinced that have some sort of borderline personality disorder.

As for my niece, a nurse friend of the family has asked if bi-polar runs in our family because of her behavior. Her mother was bi-polar and was also a cocaine addict who did cocaine the whole time she was pregnant. Developmentally she is fine, but she does not listen to anyone, she does whatever she wants even when we tell her to stop and sometimes will tell us she doesnt know why she does what she does. Plus my mom is not the best at discipline as all she does is yell and then buy my niece new clothes and toys almost daily.