Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

I have lived with my boyfriend now for about 4 years. He is

I have lived with my boyfriend now for about 4 years. He is a very kind generous man most of the time. But he has another side. He often becomes reclusive and seems to distance himself from me and others. He acts like he is spcacy and not aware of his surroundings sometimes. This often happens after a day at work. He will go to bed very early and when he wakes up its like nothing has happened. He does not want to talk about itl What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

If he appears moody to you at times and isolates, it may be due to depression. You may try find out if he had ever gotten treatment in the past, ask him if he is sleeping well (a sleep disorder can also trigger depressive symptoms and poor concentration) You could offer to go with him to see a professional.

If he does not want to talk about this issue with you, there is not much you can do, but try to talk to him when he is not having one of his episodes. You may have to find a way to cope with this if you're to remain with him and believe that he is not interested in getting help or engaging in introspection.