Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

i was in the military and was released due to ADHD, i was 18 years at the time, now I am 2

i was in the military and was released due to ADHD, i was 18 years at the time, now I am 22 and in college. I have hopes to rejoin the military but they need proof that I dont have this condition anymore. what can i do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

What you will need to do, is see a psychiatrist or psychologist, or therapist in your area who can do an assessment on you, and then submit a report stating that your ADHD is resolved. Do you feel like you still have this condition? Did you get treatment for the ADHD when you were released?

Also which part of the country do you live in, and I can help you to find a clinician to assess you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, i missed being home so I wanted to get out of the military. The military doesnt let people leave un less there is a valid reason. So i lied and said i had thoughts of hurting myself. Even though i didnt. It was a poor decision on my choice, I realise that now that I am older. When I was 18 I did not know any better, I was very naive. So therefore, when i said this, they set me to a clinic and then they dignoised me with the depressive disorder and ADHD. I clearly didnt have any of these. But i wanted to be with my family, because there was alot of stress at home. uch like a college student with homesickness. I just did not have the support I needed to in order to make a smart decision. I know i dont have this condition. Im in college right now, and im doing fine. never took medication, never feel depressed or feel the need for attention. I live in utica, new york. how much would an assesment cost?
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Okay I see what you are saying. Then you shouldn't have any trouble at all getting a psychiatrist or therapist to do an assessment that says you are okay.

The cost will vary but it should be something you can afford... and you can also always go to the counseling center at your college too, and they would provide free to very low cost for this service.

Also, here are four therapists in your area (utica) who could also do this for you. It should not have to take long to have this done, or be costly, as you really don't have any history of mental health problems, etc. Please click green ACCEPT button for this information, so I'm credited for my help today. Thank you! http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/state/NY/Utica.html