Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!

Hi I think I have been suffering from depersonalization. I

Hi I think I have been suffering from depersonalization. I know that this may sound crazy but I feel like my legs aren't attached to my body and also when I look at other people like watching tv or real people I feel like they don't have legs like the legs are walking without an upper body if this makes sense. Please tell me if this is depersonalization or something else more serious and can it go away or is it permanent?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Is the only symptom you are experiencing about the legs seeming not part of the person's body? Have you been experiencing anxiety before this happened, and how long has this been happening? Also what is your age?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I had anxiety before this but never these symptoms relating to my body this way. I also feel as if my arms are sometimes not attached also but all the time I get the legs symptoms and also when I am looking at other people. I am 33.
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Okay thank you for the additional information.

Yes it does sound like depersonalization where one can feel disconnected from oneself and disembodied. When you look at others and see the same thing that is derealization where your environment appears altered and "unreal" to you. These are both symptoms of anxiety, and can appear and go away according to anxiety levels.

What I would recommend is that you see a therapist about these symptoms. Depersonalization is much more common that once previously thought and is now the third most common symptom reported, after depression and anxiety. If the underlying anxiety is treated, then most often the distortion you speak of (the dp/dr symptoms) will subside. Sometimes treatment can consist of medication (such as an SSRI to help with the anxiety) and therapy. Call your local doctor for referrals to a therapist in your area. Also, here is a link that provides alot of good info about dp/dr. So, do please see someone in your area about this as you can easily find some relief. Please click ACCEPT button for this info, so I'm credited for my help today! Thank you.... and here is the link.