Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

My 13 year old son is an bright happy boy who likes to play

My 13 year old son is an bright happy boy who likes to play sports/videogames and a good looking boy. As his divorced father (of 5 years), I find it difficult to sit idlely by while my son does not have any friends. I do not know if it's social dysfunctionality or that he was given the tools to help him create solid relationships. What resources can you point me to help him out with him feeling I am "meddling" in his life which he would find embarrasing ? Thanks Michael, Jericho, NY
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

It is hard to see our children struggle with an area of their life. You are right, as his father, to want to help him with his social skills. The best you can help him is by your example. What are your friendships like? Does he see you with your friends? The other thing you can do is to set up situations where he can practice social skills and have the opportunity to make friends. The two of you could start a new activity or hobby which would involve other kids his age. Take some classes together. If you know other men with boys about your son's age, arrange to do things together. If you have family members with kids around your son's age, see them often. You are right, you need to teach indirectly. He will learn by doing. If you can incorporate activity with socialization that will work the best.

are the any websites you can refer me to for additional information on this ongoing concern amongst many teenage parents ? Thanks Luann

Luann :

Here are some websites -

Luann :

A book I recommend for parents of teenagers is - "Parenting Teenagers: Systematic Training for Effective Parenting of Teens" by Don Dinkmeyer

Luann :

I also recommend you check with your local school district, they oftentimes sponsor classes, one time or ongoing, for parents. Good luck to you and your son. Don't stop trying to help him with his social skills.