Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

This is a new question I am approaching 70. Have diabetes.

This is a new question:
I am approaching 70. Have diabetes. My daughter has OCD. We do not have any family at all. We are alone. My concern is what steps must I do to ensure that she is okay and know how to find a place to live. She does a paper route with me right now. That is all. No money to live on. What government steps, if any, are there for people with afflictions? She cannot get SSI when she should. She should be on Medicaid. I don't know where to turn or how to plan. Can you give some guidance?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

These are very good questions that you raise. I encourage you to talk to a social worker at your county social services department. They should be able to hook you up with the appropriate resources.

Luann :

I also encourage you r daughter to contact a social security office in your area and ask about applying for Disability. This can be a lengthy process and she should start now.l

Luann :

You and your daughter should go to social services together to ask about resources. Many areas have programs or services for people with mental illnesses like OCD. She needs to get outside support started as soon as possible. You are very wise to want her to this support now.