Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!

How effective is CBT for anxiety and panic attacks

How effective is CBT for anxiety and panic attacks?

Hello and thank you for your question.

CBT can be very effective for anxiety and panic attacks. It can help with changing one's thoughts and beliefs about the situations that cause them anxiety, and therefore this change in beliefs, then reduces the anxiety level.

Often times, a combination of CBT with an antidepressant (such as zoloft) can be especially effective, depending on the severity of the panic attacks and/or anxiety.

But to answer your question, CBT would be an effective approach towards anxiety, along with relaxation technique such as meditation, grounding techniques, deep breathing, etc. You may be interested in reading this link that discusses in depth the benefits of CBT for panic and anxiety.

Please click ACCEPT button for this answer. Thank you.

Edited by Kristin on 2/24/2011 at 6:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have suffered fron anxiety for over a year, it caused worrying and constantly thinking about how i feel but since before christmas i get what feels like pressure in my head then my head and face get hot and i feel sick as well as legs feeling weak also my head and face get sore at times, now i am also getting panic attacks. Is this caused by anxiety too? I have had blood tests and they were all fine.

Yes, what you are describing could be symptoms of anxiety/panic. Lots of times the breathing can become quite shallow with anxiety and cause this feeling of pressure in the head, and the fact to feel warm, dizziness etc.

What I would recommend is that you see a therapist in your area and discuss perhaps trying a medication for the anxiety as it's getting quite problematic. The relief you feel from the medication could then help you to work on the anxiety through CBT, etc.

Here is a directory of verified therapists that you can search by zip code and click on search by anxiety and fears.

Please click ACCEPT for my assistance today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can CBT work without medication, i really dont want to take medication, i have just started taking st johns wort and passiflora?

Yes, you can definitely do the CBT and it will work without medication. Here is a link that talks about CBT for anxiety and panic, both on it's own and with medication.

You don't have to take medication.... But do seek out the counseling for the anxiety.

Please ACCEPT. And I thank you... best wishes.