Kristin
Kristin, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Mental Health Counselor. 11+ years specialist in mental health. Expertise and insight!
45544450

hello I believe my husband has become paranoid. I really need

hello
I believe my husband has become paranoid. I really need to know what to do. He believes everyone in his job is checking his emails, and that they are all talking about him. This is the second job he has believed this is happening to him. please advise on what I can do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Does your husband ever suspect other's are checking on him or watching him, outside of the workplace? Or is his paranoia only while at work?

What does he think they are saying about him, and what is his proof that they are checking the emails? When you tell him that he seems paranoid, how does he react?

And also, why does he think they would be doing this, meaning what does he say is the motivation for such?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it's only at work. he belongs to a health club and he is the chairman of a huge sport and believes that a few of the other members are conspiring against him. He says that they check his email to harass him and because he has some amazing contacts. I've been with him for six years and this began about two years ago with his other job. His proof with the first job is he claims that he would hear them talk about emails he had just sent and the same proof with this new job. He believes that everyone laughs and talks about his emails and they are doing it for his contacts. When i tried to suggest he's paranoid and that he's really not that important, he says to me that since I don't believe him he wont mention it to me again. He never gets angry or anything, more like sad that I don't believe him.
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Okay thanks for the additional info. Unfortunately his only proof is also subjective, meaning that it's impossible to verify if they were actually saying that, or if just thought he heard that. Short of talking with them, how could you know. However it does not sound normal that they would be doing this and then talking about it, etc.

It is a symptom of paranoia to think others are spying and out to get you, etc. All that you can do is encourage him to see a psychiatrist about this. It's good that he isn't getting angry with you in reaction, however I can understand why you are concerned.

Tell him that you believe that he believes it, but you are concerned that it could be a symptom of something else going on with him. And if he would just please go and talk to a psychiatrist (even just once for the doctor's opinion) that you would feel much better. If he is willing, then you could accompany him as well to the appointment. Call your local doctor and ask for a referral to a psychiatrist (m.d. level) clinician and make an appointment. I do think this should definitely be checked out... Please click ACCEPT button for this answer. Best wishes... thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and if he refuses, should I threaten to leave him? I would never leave him, but I know he'll refuse.
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.
If he refuses, tell him to do it for you then, just one time. If he says no, then you could leave for a few days (in a hotel for example) if you're able to, to let him know how serious you are...
Expert:  Kristin replied 5 years ago.

Did you have any more questions for me about this? If not, please remember to click ACCEPT button for this question, otherwise I'm not credited or my assistance.

Thank you.