Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

how can I handle my borderline personality disorder

how can I handle my borderline personality disorder?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 5 years ago.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

hello,

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

It sounds like you are using a lot of positive tools for your Borderline personality disorder. Have you considered Dialectical Behavioral Therapy?

Customer:

Hi. Can you help me?

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Yes, did you see the above question about Dialectical Behavioral Therapy?

Customer:

Yes, I took 3 different courses of DBT in 3 years. It didn't help very much.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Hmm, does your borderline diagnosis relate to a specific trauma when you were a child?

Customer:

I don't think so.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Okay, did you learn about containment in DBT? This is one of the best tools for getting out of the feeling that you can not control the symptoms of the BPD.

Customer:

I can't remember learning about containment in DBT.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Okay, It may have been referred to as emotional regulation. http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/emotion_regulation.html

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

With these techniques you have to practice them daily so the really bad times do not sneak up on you.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

If the emotional regulation is not helping it may mean that you need to reach out to a support group for borderlines. http://www.mdjunction.com/borderline-personality

Customer:

I have heard of emotional regulation in DBT, and I have practiced that. I still have really bad times hit me all the time.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

If the emotional regulation doesn't help and an online support group doesn't help you may need to utilize the hospital for stabilization. Have you used that before?

Customer:

Yes, I have been in the hospital many times. Anything from suicide attempts to self-injury to stabilize and stay safe.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

These are the best coping skills for BPD. With this illness there will be hard times. Using the emotional regulation, support groups and the hospital is an effective attack for the hard times. Also, trying different med adjustments can help as well. My last suggestion would be to consider a 28 day treatment facility that focuses on BPD treatment. Sometimes that will pull you out of life for a while a get you recharged and stabilized. I wish there was quick fix for this illness but there just isn't. I would suggest, right now, check out the support forum I linked to. It can help get you out of your head and into other people's problems for a while which helps greatly when things are hard.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

I hope this answer helps and please try to push through this tough time using the tools listed here.

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

All the best,

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

Kym

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CS :

*please click accept

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trying to help me. I guess it's a lost cause. I've tried everything else, I thought this was a long shot. Good-bye.