Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

not sure if this is a health of mental health question. I

not sure if this is a health of mental health question. I am generally well aware when i am depressed and can either change my focus, state etc and work through it. Recently that was not the case and I have had a urge to go from 3 drinks to 4.5 a night. While i am working out 5 days a week, I gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks. My workouts should have negated the drinking so it has me concerned plus i broke down emotionally in the last 6 days. I am going through a extremely difficult divorce that includes a abused child, I have custody of 4 kids 7 days a week and opposing counsel has undertaken a say anything approach which has included everything but allegations of child molestation. There was an emotional trigger last Wednesday that had me in a zombie like state not knowing where i put my keys. This event paled compared to the prior 10 and I should be feeling better even with the bad days. But that did not happen. I couldn't work all day on Thursday, slept in my truck for two hours in the middle of the day (I NEVER sleep during the day) and I have not been able to come out of my funk. Today I didn't get to work til noon again and normally i wake up at 6am. Lately 8:30 at best. I am having overwhelming anxiety that is keeping me from doing what i know I need to do and am incredibly tired. I take Adderol and double up today but that didn't even wake me up. Coffee wont work, working out didn't work and right now I am very fatigued. My Counselor thinks the stress was building and my workout partner thinks the cortisol is causing fat retention. I just have never felt so tired, fatigued etc and it doesn't feel like depression really. There is a cold going around the house, and I have what one person called Leisure Sickness wherein i don't get sick until Friday or vacations. In the past, when I felt like this, often i found out later i was sick but didn't know it. That said, i do not remember it being this bad and it occurred after the bad Wednesday. I have family history of diabetes, my thyroid has been approaching Hyper but wasn't far enough to be official. Is there some other explanation rather than stress?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. I am sorry to hear you are going through this struggle. I'm sorry to say, It's very hard to figure out what's going on when there is alcohol and adderall in your system so often. Adderall is speed and alcohol is a depressant. Your brain is up and down, up and down, up and down. It sounds like your body is stressed from this cycle and some pretty serious life stressors. Additionally, it sounds like you are using substances to cope with life's stressors which can be helpful in the beginning but can turn on you very quickly and start causing more problems in your life.
I would suggest speaking to your therapist about the use of substances and consider seeing a substance abuse therapist if your therapist is not. There are Intensive Outpatient Programs(IOP's) that can be very helpful in these situations.

The family history of diabetes and the thyroid issue are both worth checking out again because both can cause mood issue, fatigue etc. But so can the up and down with alcohol and adderall.

I hope this answer helps and gives you some direction. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further clarification about this answer.

All the best,
Kym

*please click accept if you found this answer helpful.
Experience: Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker