Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

Every time my girlfriend and I go out she constantly comments

Every time my girlfriend and I go out she constantly comments on other women. She asks me questions about them like do I look as skinny as that girl or makes some other derogatory comment about some other woman. My girlfriend is younger so you would think a little of that would be happening but it seems obsessive. Its literally every time we go out together we end up in a fight over some other woman we don't even know. She accuses me of defending the other woman just because I say drop the subject. She always wants to bring up other women and many times she accuses me of checking out the other women. This is not what anyone else would think. I certainly don't check out any women. They merely walk past us or may be just in the same room with us or same store and my girlfriend will start getting mad and calling them all kinds of names to me when we get back to the car and accuse me of thinking they were attractive. Its gotten to the point where we can't even go out together. It makes me nuts. What can I possibly do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

I can understand why you are upset. Your girlfriend's behavior is excessive and sounds like her thinking is almost paranoid. You have tried talking to her and told her that this may break the two of you up and yet nothing has changed, I am afraid there is not much more you can do. You will have to draw a definite line, respectfully XXXXX XXXXX that she either gets professional help or the relationship is done. Give a time frame, 2 weeks? 1 month? for her to make and keep an appointment with a therapist. Tell her you will go with her if she wants. Stick with your decision. If she doesn't get help, she is not going to change. You either accept the relationship as it is or move on. This is a tough decision but you deserve a healthy, fun relationship.