Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

I have anarexia and have a difficult time taking SSRIs because

I have anarexia and have a difficult time taking SSRI's because I gain weight. I don't want to gain artificially. What medication will help with the depression and OCD tendancies I have? Thank you
Thank you for using
You may want to speak with your Dr. about Topamax or Topiramate for the SSRI issue and for OCD. This medication has been used alone and with antidepressants to help with minimizing weight gain (side effects weight loss), OCD and the treatment of stabilizing moods. I think it would be a good option for the problems you are experiencing your Dr. will be able to decide this based on your history.

If you go to, you can search for the following
articles: "Topiramate plus paroxetine in treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder" and "Topiramate augmentation in treatment-resistant obsessive-compulsive disorder: a retrospective, open-label case series."
and "Topiramate treatment for SSRI-induced weight gain in anxiety disorders."
Also you can search "Topiramate OCD" and "Topiramate SSRI" and "Topiramate Depression"

I hope this answer helps and I wish you all the best with the problems you are experiencing.

Take care,

*please click accept if you found this answer helpful.