TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Can hormone replacement for a 60 year old man help with de

Can hormone replacement for a 60 year old man help with depression?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

This is something that you can explore. In some men, it has been shown to modify moods and increase a positive outlook. However, this is an avenue that most psychiatrists will not try and you usually have to pursue this through your GP or in more typical situations, an endocrinologist.

Be aware that there are some health risks with this treatment, especially in terms of some types of cancer. However, the decision to take hormonal treatments for depression is ultimately the patient's as it is consider a viable form of treatment for some men.

You may wish to consider other alternatives including natural supplements such as:

100 mg Magnesium Glycinate

100 mg Calcium

10 mg Zinc

1,000 mg Omega 3 Fatty Acid

This combination has been shown in some studies to be as effective in mood stabilization as some anti depressants.

Be sure to check with your family doctor before trying this regimen.

I hope this helps,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Is there a cure for deep depression? This goes beyond the "don't feel good" stage. It is almost debilitating in it's effect upon me. I feel lost, lonely and cry a lot.

Have you tried ECT yet? It is not like it used to be and can help a lot. It still is a last resort option, but it is still an option. Here is a link to help you get more information:

I know you mentioned that you have tried various medications and are also in therapy. Sometimes finding good treatment and a doctor that can help is like searching for your own GP. It takes a few tries to get a match. You may want to consider trying another practitioner who may have other ideas of things you can try. A second opinion never hurts. Here is are links to find a psychiatrist and therapist: