Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I just had a baby four months ago. I have anxiety about mistakes

I just had a baby four months ago. I have anxiety about mistakes I might have made in the past (like things that happened several years ago) that will come back to haunt me now & that it will result in horrible consequences now. What is this about & why is this happening now? What can I do about it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Oftentimes, when you have a baby, it changes how you feel about your life. You become responsible suddenly for a whole new life. You begin to rethink the choices you have made and start straightening out your life so you can be there for your child.

Having a baby also changes you physically, especially hormonally. You can become depressed and worried. Protecting your child can become a priority, even an overwhelming feeling. Post Par tum depression also is a factor for some women.

Most likely in your case, you are concerned about the wellbeing of your child and your protective nature is making you concerned about past mistakes and the need to shield your child from consequences of things you did when it was just you to worry about.

Depending on what those circumstances were, do what you can to fix them. I also highly recommend you seek counseling to help you deal with the anxiety and stress you are experiencing as a result. Talk with your doctor about a referral or if you attend church, talk with your pastor. You can also find a therapist on line at www.find-a-therapist.com.

The fact that you are concerned about your past affecting your child is a good sign. It means that you care and want things to be better. The problem comes in with the effects on you with the anxiety and over worrying. Therapy should be able to help you ease your anxiety and get you back to where you want to be.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.