Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

Hi my sister has been depressed for about 3 years and had an

Hi my sister has been depressed for about 3 years and had an emotional breakdown last August. She has been seeing a phsychologist for about 3 months. She identified certain issues for which important decisions need to' be' taken however its like she is cornered and stuck and cannot move on. Her psychologist suggests she needs medication but she is strongly against it. She managed to start Cipralex last week but stopped taking it after 1 week as she had dry mouth and said she felt funny. She also tried herbal pills but these didn't help much. How in your opinion can she get better and how can i best help her.

Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 3 years ago.

Luann :

The most effective treatment for depression is a combination of therapy and medication. Not all people need medication but when a person's symptoms are not getting better with therapy alone, it is time to consider medication. Many people are reluctant to take medication. Encourage your sister to have an open discussion with her doctor about the different medications that are available, the pros and cons of each. If she is not seeing a psychiatrist for medication, that would be a helpful move. A psychiatrist, as opposed to a family or general doctor, is the expert in psychiatric medications and will be best able to inform your sister on her options. It is silly for your sister to suffer needlessly. Treatment is available, compare her depression with other physical illnesses where she would seek medication, for example, a cold that doesn't go away with usual treatments and becomes an infection that needs medication or strep throat that you might start out treating as a sore throat but realize that more treatment is needed. Taking medication to treat depression is nothing to be ashamed of and does not indicate a weakness of character, it is a physical disorder that sometimes needs medication. Maybe it would help her to read about others who took medication, look for some autobiographies at your library about people with depression. Go to the NAMI (national alliance for mentally ill) website for information and support, www.nami.org. Good luck, keep being supportive and let your sister know that she does not need to suffer, she deserved to feel better.

Customer: Hi thanks for your answer. I came across a site healthyrecovery.com and they suggest tryptophan amino acid combined with vitamina B and C to' restore serotonin levels. Do you think this site is reliable and do you know of anyone Who found this treatment useful ?
Luann :

Those are commonly used for treating depression. Be aware that treatment depends on her symptoms, some treatments may make her symptoms worse. A couple of resources would help you and your sister determine the best treatments for her symptoms. Book - Chemistry of Joy by Henry Emmons, Change your Brain, Change your Life by Daniel Amen. He has a good website too and has written extensively on brain chemistry and treatments, website - www.amenclinic.com

Customer: I will look into it straight away. She is only 26 and at the prime of her life and i cannot bear seeing her like this anymore
Luann :

She is lucky to have you in her life. She needs lots of support and a rational perspective. Depression tends to change thinking and perspective. Hang in there with her, good luck to both of you!

Customer: Thanks
Luann :

Goodbye

Luann :

If you were happy with my response, please clcik the accept button - thank you!

Luann, Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.