Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

I have suffered with ocd for a number of years now, more than

I have suffered with ocd for a number of years now, more than 14 years at least, and I have had cbt, which worked, but my ocd appears to be getting worse again. I know the process of retraining my brain, but it seems as if i cant put it into practice anymore. My thoughts are terrible, which make my obsessions appear almost continually through the day, so my viscious circle of my rituals is continuous. is there much point in doing cbt again? or anything my partner can do to help? I have 3 young children and I dont have an option for child care for a break. My diet is fine. any advice would be appreciated. many thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 3 years ago.

Luann :

Hello

Luann :

It is frustrating when symptoms return, but pretty normal. Yes, CBT could help you again. Think of it as a booster shot. You are ahead of the game because you do know the techniques, a therapist can help you get unstuck and back on track. It may be helpful for your partner to join in therapy at times to understand the best ways to support you.I also recommend that you talk to your doctor about your medication. An adjustment may be in order. Don't delay, as you know the sooner you intervene the better.

Customer:

Hi there. Thanks for your response. I have swapped and changed my medication for many years now, and fluoxetine is the only one that suits and that works for me. I even took 20mg throughout my last pregnancy, as i'm not very good without it. Alot of my obsessions probably come down to very low self-esteem. Its one big viscious circle really.

Luann :

Glad to hear you are on top of your medication. Yes it is cyclical . . . thoughts, feelings, actions. Get into therapy again, you will benefit and don't see it as a failure but like I said before, like a booster shot. You may find the informations on Daniel Amen, MD's website helpful, he has done a lot of research and writing on brain chemistry and brain health, his website is - www.amenclinic.com Keep looking at lifestyle adjustments you can make to boost your mental health and improve the effectiveness of your medication.

Customer:

Thanks for the link, I will check it out now. I'm definatly going to get back into cbt, just hope I can get it on nhs here, not everywhere offers it. Thanks for your help.

Luann, Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.