TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I suffer with agoraphobia and I take one xanax .50 a day. It

I suffer with agoraphobia and I take one xanax .50 a day. It seems to help for a moment but It doesn't help me leave my home. What do you recommend to help me with my anxiety/panic attacks? I do not like taking medication at all but I feel the need to travel is more important than ever right now. My doctor prescribed Zoloft, I took .17 and i didn't like the way I felt. I was a little on edge and adgetated..what can I take? I have a doctors appointment today and would like to discuss this with my doctor. I haven't told any of my doctors what is really going on because I was kind of ashamed, but not anymore. Please help me if you can? Thank you :)
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you would benefit greatly from individual therapy. Although medication helps a lot to take the edge off the symptoms, it does not address the causes of your anxiety and agoraphobia nor does it help you recover.

Anxiety and phobias are some of the most highly treatable disorders in mental health. Cognative Behavioral therapy (CBT) is found to be the most effective. It is a therapy that focuses on changing your thinking and therefore changing your behaviors. To find a good therapist, talk with your doctor about a referral. Or if you attend church, ask your pastor. You can also find one by searching on line at Another great site is

In dealing with your medications, sometimes you need to try several different types of medications before you find one that works well with your body chemistry. One mediation that tends to work with most people is Ativan. It is taken on an as needed basis and helps you cope with the anxious feelings. Talk with your doctor about whether or not it is an option for you. There is also a helpful site that gives you good information about the types of medications that help anxiety. It is at:

There are also several resources that can help you. One is a book called The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne. Another is Lucinda Bassett's Midwest Center for Anxiety and Stress. She has a program available that is very helpful. It is a bit expensive, but you may be able to find it cheaper by trying your library or on line on a site such as She also has several books out about anxiety and phobias that are very helpful.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I actually haf Lucindas program :) I will ask the doctor about the Ativan, my biggest problem is I don't drive but 5 miles from my home and there are no therapist in my area that will do CBT on the phone just until..I can start changing my thoughts and start really practicing..thank you for all your feed back it was very helpful but, I have been already been to all those links.. :)

Then I believe the medication will be your best option so you can reach a therapist who can help you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, that is what I was hoping..thank you. My nickname is XXXXX XXXXX I thought to myself, how did she know that..hahahaha...

Have a wonderful day. I did go to one of your links to find a therapist, she had information about online therapy so we shall see.

That is funny!

I hope the on line therapist works out for you. One of the most frustrating things with having Agoraphobia is finding a way to get help. But it sounds like you are well on your way.

Kate (the other one :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

LOL...Your right, how does someone with agoraphobia get help? Hahahaha...why is it so hard for people with mental illnesses to get help? Even with health insurance I still have limited's not fair. I wish I could be some sort of advocate for this.

There is a way to advocate. Contact NAMI at They are the largest advocate organization that I am aware of. They do great work.

Most of the time, people with mental health do not have good access because of the stigma that goes with having a mental illness. It is surprising in this day and age, but it still exists. But people motivated like you can help change it for everyone.