Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

Hi I saw a psychiatrist today and he wants me to switch

Hi

I saw a psychiatrist today and he wants me to switch from the generic Effexor to the Brand Effexor. I took the brand name for year, until the patent came off, and that is when my problems started, of course I didn't know the generic could make a difference. He told me there was a big study done at the Ottawa University, and Effexor generic showed it had 3 X the side effects as the brand name. What is your opinion on taking brand vs generic. It will cost me $100.00 per month more.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Customer:

Hi

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

First, I looked up the research you mentioned, and it was a very small group of people (only 12). I would really like to see this done with a lot more people to be good science.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

That being said, I have had many clients who have complained that generics did not work as well as, or as long as, the brand name medications.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Sometimes it is a difference in the client's body's ability to break down the medication the same way. Other times it really does seem to be a flaw in the manufacturing problem.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

The generics are supposed to have the same active ingredients, but their quality can vary, and they may use inactive ingredients that affect how the medication is absorbed/used (such as colors, coatings, and other fillers to make the pill).

Customer:

je told me the generics can be up to 20% difference and be continued the same

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If you're not getting the results you used to get from the brand, then try going back. If you still don't get good results, it means your body either needs a higher dose or maybe it's become resistant to the medication and needs a different (or additional) antidepressant.

Customer:

thank you

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

The 20% difference rule is to allow for those differences in mostly the inactive ingredients.

Customer:

Good to know, thank you for your time

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Good luck.

Customer:

Good Night