TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hello, I have anxiety and have had have for some time, I finally went asked my Md about

I have anxiety and have had have for some time, I finally went asked my Md about it and was given meds. it does seem to help a lil but not 100% I think subconscienly it still hinders me from doing the things i use to enjoy, when i do things out of my norm routing i feel the nervousness etc. what do you suggest?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you would benefit greatly from therapy. Although meds can help take the edge off your symptoms, it cannot get to the root of your anxiety like therapy can. Cognative Behavioral therapy (CBT) has proven very effective in reducing or eliminately anxiety and panic attacks. The therapist can do a full evaluation and determine what your diagnosis is then recommend what type of treatment would work for you. They can also help you coordinate your medications with your treatment to help you find what works best for you. To find a therapist, ask your doctor for a referral. Or if you attend church, your pastor may be able to help. You can also find a therapist on line at There is also an article that can help you know what to look for when searching for a good therapist-

Ignoring your anxiety or leaving situations that cause anxiety can cause the anxiety to become worse. Oftentimes, when you feel anxious in a situation, it is more about the symptoms you are having rather than where you are. When you become anxious, your body releases adrenalin which causes your frightening bodily symptoms. Because your symptoms cause odd sensations, you become more anxious until finally you have a panic attack. When you feel the anxiety coming on, it is ok to leave the situation. Just be sure that once you calm down, you return to where you were. This prevents you from associating the place with anxiety.

There are many resources for people who suffer from anxiety. One very good book is called The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne. Another is Lucinda Bassett's Midwest Center for Anxiety and Stress. She has a program to help anxiety sufferers. It is expensive, but you may be able to get it through your library or on line on Ebay for a better price.

I hope this has helped you,