TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I try to fight wearing females clothes (garments) I know this

I try to fight wearing females clothes (garments) I know this is wrong and every time I attempt the break from this I feel depressed and miserable. As soon as I start again I feel calm inside, and happy with the world. I started wearing female clothes in my middle teens, now I am 50.
Is there the right and wrong way to attack this, I just want to be normal like anyone else, but unfortunately this is something that will be always out of my grasp until I find a way to stop.

Thanks you for your time

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

There is nothing wrong with your desire to wear female clothes. Although some feel it is a mental health issue, some debate that it is not. There is a diagnosis called gender identity disorder that is used when someone feels cross dressing is an issue. However, unless you are bothered by it or it interferes with your daily life, it is harmless.

Researchers do not know specifically why people have the need to cross dress. It is thought that there may be a part of the brain that causes this desire, but more research is needed to be sure. It can also be environmental, genetics, childhood issues or other influences that cause cross dressing. It is not, however, a sign that a person is homosexual. Homosexuality and cross dressing are two different lifestyles.

You can see a therapist if you desire to work out why you feel the need to cross dress dress and want to stop. A therapist can help you explore why you feel this way and if you want to stop, help you work on changing your behavior. However, if you are comfortable with cross dressing, then treatment is not needed.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate