Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

ive been dating this man for 6-8 weeks but am wondering if

i've been dating this man for 6-8 weeks but am wondering if he has control issues. He tells me what to eat when we go out for dinner or points to an area on the menu, the only conversation we have are relationship question and how and what i think about him EVERYDAY!! If he ask me a question and if i don't give the answer he is comfortable with he keeps asking the same question in different ways. He seems to be a lot of work when we are trying to get to know each other. Is it me????
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

What is stopping you from trusting your instincts? Look at what you wrote, what would you tell a friend? Men who are controlling and abuse, first work at taking your away from your support network, limiting your time with friends and/or family by being with you all of the time. The second thing they do is make you feel crazy or to start doubting yourself. You have only been dating 6-8 weeks and he wants to act like a married couple? This should be the fun, get to know you part of a relationship, if it is feeling like work, that is not a good sign. If you are wondering if he has control issues, that is not a good sign. You know what you know, trust yourself and do what is right is for you. You deserve to be treated with respect!