TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

i am being treated for depression and recently started having

i am being treated for depression and recently started having severe chest pressure and tightness, after numerous tests, scans, and ekg's the final verdict is anxiety. i have been on zoloft and welbutrin for a year, and all of this happend within the last week or so, i was given ativan to take as needed but the pressure is still there constantly, what do i do?

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you are on some effective medication, but you did not mention going to therapy. Medication is only part of treatment for anxiety. You need to talk to someone about the cause(s) of your anxiety and how to learn to cope and feel better.

You can find a therapist by asking your doctor for a referral. Or if you attend church, talk with your pastor. You can also search for a therapist on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Anxiety often causes disturbing physical symptoms such as chest pain, tightness in the chest, and sensations of a heart attack. It is good that you were checked out physically and heart problems were ruled out.

Your therapist can help you by doing a complete evaluation and determining the best treatment for you. Cognative Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has been shown to be very effective in helping people cope with anxiety and recover. Anxiety is easy to treat and recover from.

You can also start helping yourself by reading books on anxiety. A great book I use often is The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne. Also, The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus is good as well as From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett. You can find these on Amazon.com or your local library may have them available.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate