Selah R, M.S. LPC
Selah R, M.S. LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor; over 13+ yrs exp working with adults, teens, & families/couples.
3241695

I wonder can depression cause you to feel queasy

I wonder can depression cause you to feel queasy?

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your important question.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Queasiness isn't a symptom of depression, but many people with depression may have problems with their digestive system. This is typically thought to be caused by the stress or anxiety that depression can add to your life.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

There is new research that has shown that part of the stomach seems to have some of the same cells we used to think only existed in the brain. There is belief that anxiety, stress, and depression in the brain can all cause the "stomach brain" to react.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Yeah...I am thinking that mind and body are synced with each other and i have not been eating bad food or any like that and not sick to my stomach

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

So began wonder if it had to do with emotional

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Usually stress causes causes the stomach to produce more acid, which can kill off the good bacteria and cause more erosion to the stomach lining. It also decreases the body's immune system response, which then can't heal this damage. That can cause queasiness, acid reflux, and other stomach symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Yeah that is what I'm having adic reflux queasiness

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Sertraline and other antidepressants can make that acid worse, because they take a toll on the stomach too.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Not fun at all

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Yeah ok...but as I've begun that I did not feel it..

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

But I can imagine

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

You may want to talk to your doctor about a medication that reduces acid production, or try an over-the-counter medication like Prilosec. Some people need these daily, while others can use them for a 7-14 day course every few months.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Ah ok maybe losec works

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Sometimes I use that when like this

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Some people also take probiotic supplements to naturally try to boost the good bacteria levels back in their stomach. But you might need to Prilosec type medications first.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Ah ok ty so much for advice, I will try that

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Calm down the acid levels and then restore the good bacteria.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Yes...

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

But it's not an unusual symptom. Our stomachs are like thermometers, they react to changes in our bodies.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Yeah..

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Makes sense

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

You can also read about the "fight or flight" response for more information on how the body makes a lot of changes due to stress, including shutting down or slowing the digestive track.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Ok

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

We tend to think people only get stressed at the big things (like being chased by someone), but our brains get just as easily stressed out by little things like boredom, tv shows, financial stress, inaedquate sleep, etc.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Yeah..I suffered the loss of my wife to suicide recently...

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

I'm sure it affects

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

If your stomach problems continue to be a bother, and you're aware of higher than normal levels of stress or anxiety that the Sertraline isn't helping with, you may also need to consider an anti-anxiety medication to help your body get back on track.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

I'm so sorry to hear that.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Yeah I'll ask doctor about that

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Your doctor may want to check out the medical side first, and make sure there isn't an ulcer or something that needs to be treated with specific medications. Then they may try the acid reducer medications first, and if they don't work, then try the anti-anxiety medication route.

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

Ok.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

But that's a huge source of stress and I'm sure it's taking a toll on your body physically, emotionally, and immunologically.

Selah R, M.S. LPC :

Is there anything else I can address about this?

JACUSTOMER-8gzmorhc- :

No I am very thankful for the answer. Thank you very much.