TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

hi my name is dave i am serving in afganistan and my wife is

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX am serving in afganistan and my wife is having some problems and i am worryed about her, she was curanty in colchester but could not cope so she went to her sisters in nottingham but she still cannot cope she says silly things like she thinks she has brain tumors and thing like that as she has a ponding head tonight she said she is scared and think she will die, she is going to the hospital tomorow 09/02/11 do i need to be worrying any more than i am as i am worryed for my wife. please get back to me and thank you for reading this thank you david
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your wife might be suffering from anxiety and panic disorder. It is very common for people who develop anxiety and panic to feel like something is wrong physically. Often, they are sure they have a brain tumor or are having a heart attack. This is because the symptoms of panic and anxiety are so distressing.

It is good that your wife is going to be seeing a doctor. She needs to have the necessary tests to rule out any possible physical cause. Along with being sure there is nothing physically wrong, it will give her reassurance that she is ok.

If she is cleared physically, then the doctor can refer her to a therapist for an evaluation and treatment. Cognative Behavioral therapy (CBT) has proven to be very effective in helping those with panic and anxiety.

Also, she can try reading a book called The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne. It is an excellent book full of reassuring information and ways to help yourself overcome anxiety. You can get it on Amazon.com or her local library may have it available.

Mostly what she needs from you is reassurance. She needs to know she is ok and that there is help out there for her. It is hard to be supportive from a distance, but any kind words and reassurance will help.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

would you recomend antidepresant pills?

No, because if she has anxiety that would not work. She can take medication such as Paxil which treats both anxiety and depression. Her doctor will be able to address which medication should work for her once she has been examined.

Kate