Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author
41101243

why wh y do i lie so much 47 year women look 30 years old dating

why wh y do i lie so much 47 year women look 30 years old dating my boyfriend for 2 years and lied about age told him 36 and my father in my life hes not invented stories all the time to everyone elsa at work etc. doing since i can remember been in a long relationship in present 14 years lied to him to not about age but family stuff . always make myself appears put together its like everyone believe my bs but its does catch up went i cant handle never been married no kids take it out on my self gain lbs lose lbs basicly get way with it so long in believe my bs
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Arundhati replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I must congratulate you on seeking help. It seems like you have been living with this habit of lying and even though like you said, you are often able to get over it, it does take a toll on you.

The good news is it is possible to get out of this habit you've developed. There are many reasons that might have led you to start lying in the first place. For example, you had this strong need for people to approve of you and that is why you felt the need to lower your age for example, or you had self-esteem issues from your past that makes you want to please everyone, or you're scared or uncomfortable with conflicts and want to paint a perfect picture to everyone, or you have insecurities and inferiority feelings that compel you to create what feels like better pictures of yourself.

Whatever your reasons for feeling compelled to lie, if those reasons can be identified and addressed you will no longer feel compelled to lie. In order for those reasons to be identified and addressed, you need to work with a professional therapist. A therapist will be able to effectively provide you with the insight and support for you to safely uncover your issues as well as provide you with the tools and techniques to replace your negative habit with a more positive one.

I hope that was helpful. Please do let me know if you have questions/thoughts.

Warm regards,

Arundhati
Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience: Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author