Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

i have a question ,it is like a question i asked before but

i have a question ,it is like a question i asked before but tonight i was with a girl and i like her when we were talking i was aroused but when i try to have sex i cant ,i feel like i cant get out of my mind and just let go of myself ,this kind of thing has been going on for a long time and i feel is ruining my life.tring psychologist,and pychatrist ,help:ciaran

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

What you describe sounds like a result of underlying anxiety. The best treatment approach would be behavior therapy along with anti-anxiety medication (if necessary).

You mention that you've been seeing a psychologist for the last year - is she/he using cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? If not, I would recommend that you talk to your psychologist about using CBT to address your fears. Also, clearly, there seems to be certain thoughts/underlying beliefs (e.g. I will not be able to perform adequately when I have sex, or I am not worthy of having good sex) could be at the root of your inability to perform. I would recommend working on what these beliefs, hindering thoughts are and replacing them with positive, empowering ones.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Also, please consider clicking on "Accept" as experts are not rewarded for their time or service otherwise.

Kind regards,