TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I dont really know what to say, but my friend is worried that

I don't really know what to say, but my friend is worried that my problems I have had lately may be something more serious. I feel really stupid for even doing this, but I don't know what else to do. My friend is the only person I have talked to, and even though I have tried, I just can't bring myself to actually talk to anyone else about it. I am glad there is a texting version because thats the only way I can even talk about this. I just can't seem to stay happy, adn my life from the outside is really great. Sometiems I am really happy and can see this, but more often I just feel overwhelmed and unhappy for no good reason and I hate it... a lot
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

Can you give me an idea of your symptoms? You mentioned feeling unhappy and overwhelmed. Is this out of the ordinary for you? Are there any circumstances in your life right now that are possibly causing you to feel unhappy?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I just think, like when I am driving to work, that I wish I could just keep driving adn be alone, not tell any one where I am. Then sometimes I am really "needy" and I can't stand being alone, I just want to be with people and keep talking about anything. I know that feeling bummed is normal sometimes, but it has been a lot more frequent lately. I used to look forward to coming home, or going to work, and that has really gone away lately. I'm not suicidal , and I am not just saying that, I am Christian and it is a sin, but sometimes I wonder what would happen... if I would feel better... cliche I know, but I feel crazy and I can't bring myself to talk to anyone around me.

Ok, thanks for the information.

It sounds like you may have some mild depression, which is easily treatable. Sometimes people work through mild depression themselves if their symptoms are not too strong and do not get worse. But if you are feeling that you need someone to talk to, a therapist could help. Short term Cognative Behavioral therapy (CBT) is an excellent solution to helping you feel better.

You could also be having a stress reaction. Sometimes, our lives and the stresses involved can cause mild depression and the strong need to get away for a while. The need for change is often a driving factor.

It may help you to know that many people suffer some type of depression in their lifetimes. It is very common. Some of the most common symptoms are:

• depressed mood
  • feelings of emptiness
  • decrease in pleasure or interest in activates that were once interesting.
  • weight changes, either up or down
  • decrease or increase in sleep
  • feeling tired all the time
  • feelings of worthlessness

If you chose to go to therapy, you can find a therapist through your doctor. Or, if you attend church, your pastor can help. You can also search on line at

There are also some books that may help. One is called The Mindful Way through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by XXXXX XXXXX, XXXXX Teasdale, Zindel Segal, and Jon Kabat-Zinn. Another is The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-step Program (Workbook) by William J. Knaus and Albert Ellis. You can find these on or your local library may have them available.

I hope this has helped you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I agree with the stress, but nothing new happened since this began, so I don't know how to fix that. I really just want to be able to feel what I think... does that make sense. Its like my head understands that it is irrational but my emotions cannot understand that. I mean soemtimes I am fine, happy and all, almost overly so... kind of like its making up for the other times. It's weird.... i won't bother you any longer, and I will "accept" the next answer so you will bget paid... I just wanted to throw that out there and see what you thought.

It is fine that you ask and I am glad you did. I want to help you get an answer you are happy with.

It makes sense that you want to feel what you think. Feelings can be like that, very confusing. There are times I have heard people say, "I can't help what I feel, but I don't understand why because everything is ok". Your life can be going along fine yet you feel differently.

I suggested the depression because sometimes feelings can be overrode by our thinking. What I mean is that you can think that you are fine, but you are feeling bad. It is what powers something like denial so strongly, when everyone can see the damage alcohol is having on someone but the person drinking thinks everything is fine. I am not saying you are in denial, but that is an example of how our brains work.

What you may want to do is see a therapist for one session for an evaluation. At least that way, you can get an idea if what you are experiencing is depression or something else. You can also try taking a break from your routine and get away for a while. Sometimes removing yourself from your day to day life helps you get a new perspective. Talk with friends and family for insight. Sometimes others will be able to give you a better perspective than you can give yourself.