Luann
Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.
50737979

Can a 16 year old be considered a predator, when he seems to

Can a 16 year old be considered a predator, when he seems to be conditioning my 12 year old daughter?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 3 years ago.

Luann :

Hello

Luann :

What a frightening situation! Yes, a 16 year old can be a predator. Are you sure he is 16?

Customer :

hi yes i am sure

Luann :

You were right to cut off contace. Have you contacted the police?

Customer :

not yet. we thought we should speak to his parents but i am considering the police

Luann :

I encourage you to go to the police. This boy is very disturbed, he has probably been abused himself. He needs help and the best way for him to get help is through legal intervention. What he is doing is illegal.

Customer :

I thought it was illegal. I wasn't sure if there was anything we could do as he is only 16 year old. Im so scared for my daughter.

Customer :

Do I need any documentation to take to the police?

Luann :

You are right to feel scared. Your daughter is vulnerable and you need to protect her. Yes take as much data as possible to the police. If he has been sending her sexual pictures, bring those with., bring your computer to show the messages. You may need to get a restraining order to prohibit any contact with your daughter. Ask the police about this.

Customer :

Thank you. This is what I needed to hear. My husband wants to take a calmer approach, however. He would like to send a warning that we will go to the police if he doesnt stop contact. Would an attorney be able to send such a warning? Do you think this is too soft of an approach?

Luann :

Yes, I think it is too soft. He is likely to just stalk other young girls. At minimum, get a restraining order. Talk to an advocate at a local program for victims of assault. They will be able to walk you through the process. They will be able to inform you about the legal process too.

Customer :

Thank you Luann. I appreciate your feedback.

Luann :

Good luck to you and your family.

Luann, Psychologist
Experience: Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.