Arundhati, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed psychotherapist, Published Wellness Author

I find it difficult to function and support myself and find

I find it difficult to function and support myself and find that others around me have little tolerance and patience for me and my situation. I have severe depression, partly due to a broken heart as I missed out on being with a guy I've been in love with for seven years. I need to find a better way to live with my condition, as right now I feel like a 'caged animal' and totally isolated. I dont mean to isolate myself it just sort of happens. Financially I can hardly rub two coins together as I'm so down. Lately over the last five days I havent been sleeping and have developed severe nausea and vomiting, and can hardly even hold down water. Mum reckons this is due to an unhappy heart, and she could well be right. There is no 'quick fix' for this situation, but some tips on how to live with it, instead of just struggling to get through 24 hours?

Thank you for writing in to Just Answer.

I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It is clearly a very difficult time for you.

You've mentioned that you've consulted with counselors, tried meditation, exercise and different doctors but nothing seems to have helped you.

I'm not sure if you have completed a thorough psychiatric evaluation but if not I would recommend that you do that. Apart from the depression that you experience it is possible that there are other psychiatric issues diminishing your quality of life.

Also, the sleep problems you've been experiencing sounds recent - and the nausea and vomiting could be signs of a medical concern (e.g. infection etc.) so I would recommend consulting with a medical doctor to rule out any medical conditions causing the nausea.

Relationship issues, heart breaks can certainly increase depression but therapy should be able to help you process those feelings and effectively cope/deal with it. You could also consider journaling - something that often helps a lot of people. Also, you could consider joining a support group for those who've recently broken up, or suffered heart breaks - as this will help you to feel connected to others in similar situations and you'll know that you're not alone.

What you describe as difficulty in functioning could be a result of underlying anxiety which often creates a "brain fog" making it hard for us to perform even simple tasks. That is why I would encourage you to complete a full psychiatric assessment so that any psychiatric issues that you're dealing with can be uncovered and identified for appropriate treatment.

I hope this was helpful. Please do let me know if you have questions/thoughts.

Warm regards,