Luann, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist, 24 years experience working with children, adolescents, families and adults.

my husband and I have been married 35 years. We have 3 grown

my husband and I have been married 35 years. We have 3 grown daughters, 1 married, 2 engaged. They are all professionals , well adjusted and happy. We have an empty sad marriage. he was a medical professional, self employed, a nice man, never worked > 32 hours / wk. he hid debt and has had major tax issues. He spends all year paying last years taxes and for 6 years cannot catch up. We have seen 4 therapists, he does not talk. He sold his business due to a need for open heart surgery last April. I now find out there was >300,000.00 debt ! There is 105,000.000 in a retirement account. the taxes were not paid on the sale of the practice and they will be 140,000.000. I just found out. I am overwhelmed and angry. What is wrong with him ? I work part time. I want to leave, but am trapped by the economy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Luann replied 5 years ago.

Luann :

Luann :

What a horrific situation and you have certainly done what you can to change things. It is difficult to say what is wrong with him. That is a question best posed to the therapist who is working with the two of you. Regardless of what is wrong with him, it is unlikely that he will change. You have to focus on yourself. You may not be able to leave him right now but you can start planning to leave. Start seeing your therapist more often. Talk to an attorney. Start working more and/or start looking a job that can support you. Make a plan and start taking what action you can today.