Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice

Long Term Residential Care

Customer Question

Please is anyone getting my messages? My daughter, who is 17, has mood disorder, PTSD, Bi-Polar and substance abuse. She currently sees a therapist and psychiatrist regularly. We are trying to get her into long term residential treatment and every place we find is considered "out of network" and there is no place according to our insurance companies that is "in network". We are desperate. She needs care and needs it now. She is even willing to go and get help....we feel lost and truly will do whatever we can to get it for her...We live in Champaign, IL and have the following insurance - Health Alliance, Blue Cross Blue Shield and Tricare.. Please help us! There has to be some place out there that is good and willing to help us...can you help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I see you've been waiting for a while and no one from Illinois is here so I'll try to be of help with this issue.

First, let me say I can imagine how overwhelming this situation must be for you. I don' know how to overrule the insurance companies if they say there is NO one in network. Though that doesn't make any sense. So, I'm going to give you two suggestions:

First, we need to discuss Medicaid. I don't know what Illinois Medicaid will require from her to qualify. She's under 18 and some states require that she not be living on your premises. So you'll need to find out. Why?

Because once she's on Medicaid then all the public residential facilities are now in your sphere. I know this sounds extreme, and it is extreme. But I hear in what you write a lot of urgency and worry. So if the insurance companies' representatives actually told you the truth, then maybe this is your best option. Here's the web address for them:

Second, in my directory of residential treatment centers in the US, here's the most likely possibility as it is a hospital of accepting all insurance: Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital. They list long-term residential care. They are in Hoffman Lakes.(NNN) NNN-NNNN Their intake people may be able to refer you to somewhere closer perhaps or to one of their doctors who may know more information.

Here's the third possibility for you: call one of the big hospitals and ask to speak to the social worker in the psychiatric ward. (I work on a hospital team every so often and the social worker is usually the one we turn to for information!) Ask her or him for help. Repeat this with other hospitals. See if the social workers know of facilities that take the various insurances. They are often overworked, but if you are friendly and grateful and pleasant, they may take the time to help you. And they may know more of what is available locally.

I wish you the very best!

Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue, just put "for Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, XXXXX XXXXX