Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Hi, I am wondering if you are aware of any rehabs that accept

Customer Question

Hi, I am wondering if you are aware of any rehabs that accept people without insurance/money to pay for services? I have searched everywhere and have had no luck.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

Where are you and what is drug of choice?

Customer :

I am in Pa. & alcohol is the issue.

Customer :

I have suffered early childhood trauma & was able to "cope" with it until the age of 36 when my abuser passed away. At that time, things became difficult for me and I started to drink socially. Shortly thereafter,I began to drink every single day to the point of passing out. I had never consumed alcohol up until this point. I am hating myself for what I have become and have no insurance or any way of paying for rehab. I need this so badly and firmly believe that it will kill me soon if I cannot find help. I am desperate!

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

The only "free help" for alcohol is typically groups like "AA" or if you don't like their approach, "Rational recovery" is a lot less religious. You may want to check with Medical Schools to see if any clinical trials are going on.

Customer :

That's what I was afraid of. I need to be in an in-house program. AA isn't enough for me. Very scary.

Customer :

It's sad that there isn't any program anywhere for people without insurance who happen to be sick.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

There is absolutely no evidence that inpatient is more effective than outpatient. Most insurance companies won't even pay for it any more. I know you are desperate. Put that desperation into a self help group.

Customer :

I guess I will try that,maybe. I firmly believe that I need intensive treatment.Thanks for your advice.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

good luck. it will be hard