Dr. Shirley Schaye
Dr. Shirley Schaye, Doctor
Experience:  PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy

My husband is 26 and was diagnosed with bipolar 6 years ago

Customer Question

I need this answered by a Psychiatrist only as only a Psychiatrist would have good knowledge on medication.

My husband is 26 and was diagnosed with bipolar 6 years ago but only started to take the medication 7 months ago in June 2010. Before this he had never used any medication as he hadn't accepted his diagnosis.

He is on Risperdal tablets 1mg twice a day and Epival tablets 500mg twice a day. He was very manic for around four months prior to starting the medication. He has responded very well and 7 months on he has had no mood swings or psychotic symptoms like the halucinations and delusions he had. His psychiatrist is suggesting that my husband stop taking risperdal now by dropping to 1mg tablet once a day, as he no longer has the psychotic symptoms and has not been through a manic phase since on the meds. Then the psychiatrist said my husband will be off it in a month. isn't this too soon a drop in dosage? Shouldn't my husband take it at 1mg for a few months before he stops? Also if we notice that his psychotic symptoms are starting again then should he start it again?

My husband will stay on Epival but should this dosage be reduced too? or should my husband stay on Epival for a long time at the same dose?

Also is it likely his psychotic symptoms or the high mania phase would return if he was no longer taking risperdal? Or would the epival not be enough to keep him stable? Would you say he is on the best medication for his condition i.e. medication with the least side effects?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 3 years ago.
Good morning,

I can truly appreciate your hesitation to stopping the risperadol completely. It actually would make sense to lower the dosage gradually in order to safely titrate your husband off the medication. In fact this medication is actually used as a maintenance medicine for bipolar so as long as your husband is functioning ok on it there really is no reason to take him off of it completely. He would do well staying on it but perhaps at a lower dose in order to ensure that the psychotic symptoms don't return. As for the epival there really is no reason for him to stop this medicine as it is an excellent mood stabilizer and it sounds like your husband has responded well to it.

I hope this helps answer your question and I look forward to any further questions should you have any.

If I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer I've provided. I hope this finds you well and look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Is it likely his psychotic symptoms or the high mania phase would return if he was no longer taking risperdal? Would the epival not be enough to keep him stable? Would you say he is on the best medication for his condition i.e. medication with the least side effects?
Expert:  Dr. Shirley Schaye replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I think you wanted to reply to mindhealer, not to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
get my question answered by an actual psychiatrist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Relist: Answer quality. Please get my question answered by a Psychiatrist</p><p>I need this answered by a Psychiatrist only as only a Psychiatrist would have good knowledge on medication. <br /><br />My husband is 26 and was diagnosed with bipolar 6 years ago but only started to take the medication 7 months ago in June 2010. Before this he had never used any medication as he hadn't accepted his diagnosis. <br /><br />He is on Risperdal tablets 1mg twice a day and Epival tablets 500mg twice a day. He was very manic for around four months prior to starting the medication. He has responded very well and 7 months on he has had no mood swings or psychotic symptoms like the halucinations and delusions he had. His psychiatrist is suggesting that my husband stop taking risperdal now by dropping to 1mg tablet once a day, as he no longer has the psychotic symptoms and has not been through a manic phase since on the meds. Then the psychiatrist said my husband will be off it in a month. isn't this too soon a drop in dosage? Shouldn't my husband take it at 1mg for a few months before he stops? Also if we notice that his psychotic symptoms are starting again then should he start it again? <br /><br />My husband will stay on Epival but should this dosage be reduced too? or should my husband stay on Epival for a long time at the same dose? <br /><br />Also is it likely his psychotic symptoms or the high mania phase would return if he was no longer taking risperdal? Or would the epival not be enough to keep him stable? Would you say he is on the best medication for his condition i.e. medication with the least side effects? </p><p> </p>