Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

If you know that your 19 year old son drinks when hes at off

If you know that your 19 year old son drinks when he's at off at college should you let him drink a little at home so you know he's in a safe place and not drinking and driving?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to JA. Thanks for writing in here. Let me ask you a question before I offer an answer. Do you drink in front of him at home?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. we feel like if he knows we drink responsibly he will know how to drink responsibly. We don't want him to drink but we know that he does. He's very honest about it so we want to encourage him to not over indulge and to not drink and drive.
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your response. Ideally, 19 year-olds should not drink alcohol. But it may be difficult for many 19 year-olds not to drink alcohol in social situations. Alcohol may be addictive to some people. Excess drinking of alcohol may cause depression and anxiety over time. Also, the human brain matures around age 20-25. Excess drinking of alcohol may impair his brain development. I think it is a good idea for you to monitor his drinking at home. Perhaps, if he sees you drinking at dinner time, he may want to join you. You may allow him to drink alcohol a little. You make sure that he understands he can not drive after drinking. Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. P.S. Please remember to click the green accept button. Feel free to continue the discussion; my goal is to get you the best answers possible. Warm regards,