Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

can i sue a psychiatrist for malpractice after he prescribed

can i sue a psychiatrist for malpractice after he prescribed xanax to me at a high dose and for a long time. i have stopped takeing it and i am going through very bad withdrawl. he sayes it is my falt and he even wants me to go to addiction counseling. john
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

John: essentially you can sue for anything. For xanax, you would have to prove that you took it precisely as prescribed and discontinued exactly per his instructions. You just cannot quit it and if that is what you did, you would lose. Out of curiosity what was the PRESCRIBED dose (Label directions). Another issue is what are your real/monetary damages. You might get rehab paid for. I would consult Licensing Board and most attorney's will at least do a free consult to see if case is worth taking on. Martindale is a good resource for finding attorneys. Most specialize in defense, not suing the docs.

Customer :

1 mg 4 times a day. i went to detox for 2 weeks as per his directions. it didn't work.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

This is actually not an excessive amount. It is fairly typical. A two week detox is unlike insufficient. Usually they will change you to an equivalent dose of a longer acting drug, Such a Klonapin, Ativan. Once such a transition is made you can cut the dosage very slowly, about every 7-10 days and depending how sensitive you are to withdrawal, and it sounds like you are, you may only be cutting by 1/4 or less every ten days. I seriously doubt you would have a chance in court. You need to get through physical withdrawal before counseling will do much, unless you have trouble sticking to detox schedule. Xanax is not a good drug to use in detoxing from Xanax.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

I do think he is not the best MD.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

He should know all this.

Customer :

thank you. you have been a big help. in detox they used ativan.

Dr. Ed Wilfong :

You are welcome. Just did it too quickly.