mindhealer, Therapist
Experience:  Licensed in MD and am also a Board Certified Diplomate (Advanced Practioner) I have over 10 years experience

How do I cope with this I share a office with a nother

How do I cope with this:

I share a office with a nother company and I feel uncofortable when a certain individual walk in to the office
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  mindhealer replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon. I would be happy to help. Could you share with me your level of discomfort and what exactly is it about this person that causes you to feel such discomfort. Thank you for the opportunity to help and I look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Level of discomfort : High

One one hand he is unfreindly and makes himself heard. For instance he will make sure everybody will notice that he is here.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response but I was called in to a meeting unexpectedly.

This individual certainly sounds like a thorn in your side..that's a given. I would like to make a couple suggestions that may help you cope with him and his presence. The first would to practice the concept of "self talk" where you literally think to yourself whether it's worth it for you to get so upset with this individual. I'll share with you what I tell some of my anger management patients who get angry and frustrated if they are ever cutoff in traffic. I tell them..."you're the one getting agitated and frustrated..likely having both your heart rate and blood pressure rise...whereas the other individual could care less about you so why should you let them have that significant amount of power and control over your emotional state." When it's put in that manner it often makes a person stop and consider the true impact it has on them and the ZERO impact it has on the other person.

The next suggestion I would like to make is to practice deep breathing techniques that will help you regulate both your thoughts as well as your psychological/physical response to the situation. By doing so it keeps you level headed and able to think rationally thereby helping you to manage the situation better. The deep breathing is simple yet the effects can be take a Deep breath in through your nose....hold your breath for a count of 3 and then exhale slowly through your mouth while saying the word "relax" as you do. I realize that it sounds silly but it has been found to be truly beneficial.

If you feel that you need to excuse yourself in order to do these there is certainly nothing wrong with doing fact I would encourage it given that it will give you time to regroup and collect yourself and your thoughts. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX has helped and please feel free to ask any further questions or if you require further clarification on any any of my suggestions.

If you feel I've answered your question to your satisfaction I would sincerely XXXXX XXXXX clicking the ACCEPT button thereby giving me credit for the answer. I wish you well and look forward to your response. Again, thank you for the opportunity to help answer your question.